Healthy scones do exist. Sounds a little unlikely, but I threw some ingredients out there (inspired by this recipe), and lo and behold a healthy scone was born. Mine were a little thick (since I didn’t read through the original recipe and made only 1 round instead of 2), but still delicious. Have at it for a fresh changeup on your breaky, brunch, or anytime snack!
Low-Carb Protein Scones
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour (or almond meal)
- ¼ cup white whey protein powder
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk (regular milk or plain yogurt would work, too)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (white or whole wheat)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 cup of dried blueberries, cranberries, or diced apricots
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 2 T agave nectar (or sweetener of choice)
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, protein powder, sea salt, baking soda, blueberries & coconut.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until lightly combined.
- Use your hands to knead the dough a bit to thoroughly distribute all the ingredients.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment, form dough into two large circles about 1/2 inch thick (or one round abt 1 inch thick).
- Cut each circle like a pizza, choosing how big or small you want your scones to be.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.