1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or 1 1/4 cup AP flour)
1 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp sea salt or kosher
1 tsp baking soda
1 or 2 tsp cayenne or chipotle chili powder
2 tsp adobo sauce (from can of chipotle peppers, like
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips
Topping (add after baking):
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy canes (4-5 canes), mixed with 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Add more cayenne powder here if you want extra heat!
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Whisk sugar and softened butter together in a mixing bowl
- Mix in vanilla and one egg at a time, scraping as needed, until incorporated. Add in half the flour mixture on low speed (if using electric mixer) and mix to incorporate before adding the other half. Mix until just incorporated and then stir in the chocolate with a wooden spoon.
- Here you can decide to chill the dough for 20-30 minutes to minimize the dough spread (I just bake right away, but the result will depend on how warm your kitchen is.)
- Roll them into golf ball sized balls and space them about 2″ apart on a parchment lined or greased baking sheet. I actually used my MIU silicone baking mat, which I looove). Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Immediately sprinkle the candy cane dust on your warm cookies.
- Transfer to a rack to finish the cooling process and they will firm right up into spicy chocolate perfection. Enjoy!