After the turn of the New Year, and after a few trial-and-error attempts, I came up with this date shake recipe. I was inspired by the date shake at Ruby’s Shake Shack (which~DISCLAIMER~I’ve never actually tried that particular shake there…), but my father-in-law is a big fan so I thought I’d try to make it from scratch for a special treat before my in-laws came to visit at the end of January. I added some malt, because let’s be honest, who doesn’t love a good malt? Okay probably lots of people…
Malted Date Shake
- First, make a “date syrup” by blending the dates and the almond milk until liquidy and smooth-ish
- Add the ice cubes, ice cream and malt
- Blend using the milkshake or smoothie cycle (don’t over-blend!)
- A high powered blender would be best for this recipe (I use the Blendtec), but a regular blender should also work; you may just need to spend more time on the first step making the date syrup
- Speaking of that first step: it is crucial! The dates must be pulverized before adding remaining ingredients. Skip this step and you will have a watery milkshake…
- Minor details: I used Trader Joe’s dates, reduced-fat ice cream, and Nestle’s Carnation Malted Milk powder.
- Have fun adding your own flair! e.g. use chocolate malt powder, a different flavor ice cream, etc. One time I added some extra toffee bits I had lying around and it was deelish!